A blog about vintage fashion, vintage jewels and art.....

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Plastic Please?

We've all been downing bottles full of water, trying to keep our fluids up and parching our thirst. We're all happy to be adding up our allotted litres of fluids, so healthwise we think we're ok. But is it really that good all round? Somebody called Davide de Rothschild is keen to convince us otherwise and after seeing these.....


I quite agree. I was not aware that somewhere in the North Pacific there is a veritable floating garbage patch that contains millions of tonnes of plastic just sitting there on top of the sea. Where did it come from? Us. We use plastic all around us - just take a look at the supermarket shelves - bottles and bottles of plastic containters - shampoos, hair balsams, shower gels, polish removers, cleansers, plastic bags, plastic jars, plastic shoes.....


It's pollution with a capital P and the only solution is to recycle and use less. Rothschild is planning to spend 100 days at sea on a boat called Plastiki which is a catamaran kept afloat by 12,500 plastic bottles. He wants to raise awareness not only about what ends up in our seas but also about what is dying in our seas - there are less fish in the oceans then there ever were before. If you want to read more about this check out
http://ngadventure.typepad.com/blog/2009/03/david-de-rothschild-voyage-of-the-plastikivideo-sneak-peek-at-production-at-pier-31-.html

6 comments:

A Gift Wrapped Life said...

We gave up bottled water in plastic over a year ago for a number of reasons, this being one of them. Think it would be better to return to glass, seems so simple doesn't it? Thank you for your Paris comments, it should be fun. XO

The Creative Bohemian said...

I have to admit, we are guilty in my home of the convenience of the plastic water bottle obsession. I think its the portability that has me hooked.

We have often talked about getting a water cooler or a filter on our kitchen water line, but haven't taken the steps yet.

Thanks for reminding me that this should be a priority.

Diane

Jess said...

I'm so glad you're bringing some attention to this yucky mess. I have heard of it, but I'm surprised that so many people haven't. It's going to take a lot of us making drastic changes before problems such as this one start to improve.

Sharon S said...

Hi there-wow, a great post, thanks for sharing and making us more aware of this problem xx

Padgett Hoke said...

I have heard about this floating island a number of times - and really their are 5 of them in each of the major currents in the ocean - apparently they are the size of about texas. super scary, quite unknown and I am glad to see you are spreading the word so others may learn about this huge problem.

Diva said...

Its awful... my aim is to install waterfilters in my house as soon as I can afford it and then carry a glasbottel around!