A blog about vintage fashion, vintage jewels and art.....

Monday, November 22, 2010

Vintage fashion explained

Where I come from, vintage fashion is not very well known. Some people have absolutely no clue what it is and when you mention vintage, the only connection they make is with vintage cars.
Isn't it just second-hand clothes? When they ask me to explain, I therefore like to use the vintage car comparison.
You will all agree that vintage cars are usually second-hand cars. But not all second-hand cars are vintage cars. An old car is not necessarily a vintage car and a vintage car may not look very old in appearance, except for the fact that its' style gives it away and automatically associates it with a time gone by.

So when I talk about vintage clothes, I explain that although these are, generally speaking, second-hand clothes, they are as fine and exclusive as vintage cars. Everybody stops and looks admiringly at a vintage car as it rolls down the road. You may not be seen dead driving a vintage car, but hey, it is a crowd-puller. It is an attention grabber isn't it?

Vintage clothes are just like a vintage car - you look on admiringly because they have class, a style all their own, remind you the the most beautiful parts of yesteryear. You won't find many of them around and the few good ones are literally few and far between

Vintage fashion like vintage cars, is incomparable, stylish, elegant and a one-off affair that most people will never be able to own.

By the time I'm through with this explanation - most people are convinced.

Then again, I like to point out that a vintage 70s dress which was made in Italy, is all-Italian. It was designed in Italy, made with Italian fabric, by Italian seamstresses and in an Italian factory. It was even sold from an Italian boutique and probably worn on the shoulders of an Italian lady. Today an 'Italian' dress may very well be made with Hungarian fabric, by a Chinese seamstressi n a Taiwanese factory...... who can tell!?!

Believe you me..... the quality of vintage is something worth harping on about, whether people are converted or otherwise!

4 comments:

Sharon S said...

Hi there-a very spot on post, vintage is unique and quality and has a style of its own. Hope you're well too and wishing you a lovely Christmas too! xx

Sharon S said...

H my dear-a very happy new year to you and wishing you all the best for 2011. Sorry to hear you've given up blogging, I think it goes in peaks and troughs as I've had a few breaks myself-hopefully you will come back, never say never!! xx

Ari said...

Hi,
Dont' give up. Do it for yourself, thats what I do. Reach out and email other bloggers, we can discuss too. Blogging is also a great notebook to keep thoughts and ideas.

Email me

Ari

Anonymous said...

Toԁay, I went to the beach front ωith my сhildren.
I fοund a sea shell anԁ gave it tο my 4 year old daughter and
saіd "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." Shе plасeԁ the
ѕhell to her ear and scгеаmed.
Therе wаs a hеrmіt crаb inside and іt pincheԁ her еar.
Ѕhе neѵer ωаnts to go back!
LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I haԁ to tell ѕоmeοne!


My ѕіte: cash for unwanted cars